Sunday, November 20, 2011

Newport, Rhode Island

After the moving truck pulled away I rushed to the airport to make my flight to Providence. I had a layover in Baltimore and I was SO excited to see Josh, 32 days is way too long!



My flight from Buffalo to Baltimore was not delayed, surprise surprise! Ever other flight I took while jumping around the country this summer was delayed. When I got to Baltimore I rushed over to my connecting gate because I knew I only had a 35 minute layover. When I got there people were already lined up to board so I took my place in line. As the line was moving forward I looked up and saw a different destination on the screen so when I was about to hand my boarding pass to the southwest person I asked if this flight was going to Providence and she said no that flight will be next. I was confused since things seemed to be happening for this flight on the same timeline that my flight should be. Not long after I sat down they announced that my flight would be delayed one hour, due to some problem with the plane leaving it's previous destination. Josh only had a limited window of time that he could come see me before he had to go back to sleep in his dorm room, so this did not make either of us happy! About an hour later I was sitting in my seat waiting on the tarmac waiting to take off when the captain told us that we would be delayed "a little longer" due to too much traffic in the air. WHAT?? Was this really happening on my most anticipated flight of the summer?! Over an hour later we took off! I was not happy. Josh was not happy and neither were the other passengers. It was only an hour and 15 minute flight we could have gone to Providence come back to Baltimore in the amount of time we waited. When I arrived at the airport I rushed to get my rental car. I was offered a smart car, which was not going to work for us considering all the uniforms and stuff they made Josh buy while he was there so she upgraded me to a hybrid altima. {which we loved and only ended up putting $9 worth of gas into when we returned it after driving around Newport for 2 days and to and from the airport 40 miles away} When I arrived in Providence Josh had ordered food for us an was waiting at the hotel. We were SO excited to finally be back together!


The next day I picked Josh up from the base and we took all of his luggage and uniforms to our hotel and then went to downtown Newport. We had lunch walked around the shops, bought an ornament and a magnet and walked along the water. It was SO fun! We both really like Newport. Then we headed back to our hotel to get ready for a banquet that night, which really ended up just being a cocktail party.



The next day was graduation from Officer Development School. When I saw all of them march in to the gym with their dress whites on I got a little choked up. This was a big accomplishment. Getting through all of the hardships of dental school, and the difficult 5 weeks of ODS to bring us to where we were now brought a few tears to my eyes.




Josh had told me that there would be time to come and take pictures, but that he would not be able to look at me or smile so he instructed me to not try to make him.



 There were some speakers and then it was over and he was officially an officer in the United States Navy


 One of they guys from Josh's dental class that was at ODS with him
Billy & Josh


 Josh and his friend from ODS, Kody Witt


 Lieutenant Ricks in his hot dress whites ~ I think the Navy has the best uniforms



After posing for some pictures we were off to the airport to exchange our rental car and start our road trip! {we decided to drive because we would be reimbursed if we drove, but not if we flew. We changed our rental car because it was more expensive to return our car to a different location than we picked it up so we only wanted to pay the higher price for one day not three}

No comments: