Saturday, November 12, 2011

Our House

This was our first house. We loved it! It had just enough space for us. It had a fenced in back yard, a garage, a basement, a big upstairs and most of all it was our home. It's where we brought Hayden & Brinley home for the first time. It's where we watched them grow, smile, laugh, learn to crawl and walk. It was all done within the walls of our house.





the living room


i love that archway


the kids room


the bathroom


the kitchen
The kitchen was really small and the dining room...if you could even call it that...was even smaller, but we made it work.



master bedroom
upstairs


We painted, fixed drywall, fixed the roof and windows re-did the floors and pluming, put slats in the railing going upstairs to protect our little ones, put in a new sump pump, put in a border and mulch around the flower beds, and lots of other things.

before:
after:

I LOVED the stairs in the kitchen that lead to the upstairs. They served so many purposes; of course the one they were made for. They also served as a great time out spot, a great place for a snack, and an extra seat for our small kitchen.

In February we put our house on the market. It was bitter-sweet. I knew it was time to move on. Time to be done with dental school, the reason that had brought us to Buffalo. It was time to say good-bye to the life we had there and move on to the next stage of life. It was hard for me even thought I knew it was time. I had made some amazing friends who had been there for me during hard times, had been my family away from family, had kids who were my kids best friends. I had met people who had impacted me and some of them, possibly most of them, I might never see again. It was hard to think about leaving all of that.


I hoped that someone would want to buy our house. There were things that were not perfect about it, but it was a great house and I hoped someone else would see that and love it the way we did. We had lots of lookers. Some were interested, some were not. Some wanted it, but it was out of their price range. We were on a time line. Josh was leaving for officer training on May 22 and we had to be in California by June 30. We started to get nervous when we didn't have any offers and our deadlines drew closer. One of my friends asked me if we had considered renting it. It had crossed my mind, but not seriously. We did not really want a rental property all the way across the country. She told me she knew a family coming to dental school that wanted to rent a house. I went home and talked to Josh about it. We decided to talk to them, and see what happened. They were very nice and very interested in renting our house. They lived in Arizona and I was going there at the end of May, so I could meet them while I was there. We were moving our stuff out the 3rd week of June and they wanted to move in July 1. Nothing else had worked out and this was all working out so perfectly it felt like this was the right thing to do. So after 93 days on the market and lots of lookers we took our for sale sign came down, and our first house became our rental property.

2 comments:

Mike, Kalie, Jason, Lexie and Colden said...

oh my gosh Kandis... I can't believe those befroe pics... you guys sure are handy!!

Garth, Melissa and all the Crazies said...

Um, I got a little choked up at this one. The picture of the boys, so many crafts and goldfish parties in your living room. Do one on your new house next :)