Saturday, November 19, 2011

Back in Buffalo

After layovers and delayed flights I arrived back in Buffalo at midnight on Sunday night. I took a taxi from the airport to my house because I didn't want any of my friends to have to come get me in the middle of the night. I was a little nervous about being alone with a stranger in his car during the middle of the night and going to my empty house, but it ended up being just fine.

I was not prepared for all of the emotions that I felt being in my house, alone, for the very last time. I cried. I cried because of the good memories, the bad memories, the hard times, the good times, the friends I had made and had to leave, the person I had become because of my time there. I cried.

I prepared the house for the packers that were coming the next day. I tried to go through things and separate the things we would be taking in our car, the things we were giving away or selling and the things that would be staying. I was up until 4am.  The packers knocked on my door at 7:45. They asked me to move my car so they could back their truck in. I went outside to move the car that had not been driven for 5 weeks during the middle of the Buffalo humid summer and one of the back wheels was locked. I panicked, but a few hours later thankfully it moved.

The packers were scheduled to take 2 days to pack our stuff, but 6 hours later they were done and left my house in 137 boxes. While they were there my sister texted me and asked if I was kicking back with a Dr. Pepper.  I always pictured it that way when people had movers, but it was not like that. 3 guys showed up and I ran around the house the entire time they were there saying don't take that, that is staying, where is this, don't forget that, yes that is packed to my satisfaction, etc.




That evening I met up with my close girlfriends for dinner. It was bitter-sweet. We were not sure when it would happen again so we chatted and laughed like nothing was going to change. I love these girls! 



On Wednesday the movers came to load all of our packed boxes into their truck. They loaded the 137 boxes plus 126 items {don't judge} this included everything from our sofa and glider to our beds and bed frames, lamps, vacuum, broom, dresser, treadmill and tree trimmer, etc. {see you would have 126 items too!} I was AMAZED at the little amount of room our stuff took in the big semi moving truck. Packing everything all the way up to the ceiling helps. I wish I would have taken a picture of the truck all loaded, but I was too busy making sure they took what they were supposed to and didn't take what they were not supposed to and that I remained looking somewhat decent for my afternoon flight to see Josh. Based on our household number and rank we were allotted 14,000 pounds. Our stuff only weighed 9,000 pounds.

A BIG thanks to everyone who helped me with all the last minuet details, took me to the airport, ran errands and over saw things after I was gone. I have AMAZING friends! Love you guys!

No comments: