Wednesday, March 17, 2010

2

LOVE the look on Hayden's face, but I wish you could see Brinley better

I'm not going to lie having 2 kids has been an adjustment. Not a bad one, but an adjustment none the less. There are certain times of the day that they both need something at the same time and someone has to wait, and that waiting isn't always pleasant. Hayden has watched more TV then ever before in his life. I feel kind of bad about it, but it isn't all the time, or really that much compared to other kids and I'm sure he won't die from it. I try to give both kids the love and attention they need, but sometimes I feel like someone is neglected, I just hope it's in my head and they don't feel that way. I forgot how much fun it is to have a little one to snuggle again. I also forgot how it feels to get such broken sleep. And I forgot how good little newborns smell...ya know that just after the bath, baby lotion smell. Love it! I also love it when Brinley holds my finger. She has such a strong grip and it's so cute how her entire hand goes around my finger! I didn't know how Hayden would react to having another little one in the house, but he has done surprisingly well. There are times when he throws his toys {he's never done that before}...and it has stopped now. It was off and on just for the first few weeks after we had Brinley. Sometimes he touches Brinley roughly after I have asked him not to, but for the most part he waits patiently when he has to, and he is very concerned about his sister. When I tell him to get his coat and shoes so we can go bye bye he says "BABY?" in a concerned voice like he is asking if we are going to bring her too. Josh's mom pointed out that we do leave the dog behind so it's a valid concern...never thought about that! I don't know why I ever wondered if I could love another child like I do Hayden, Brinley has totally captivated my heart! I wondered what it would be like to go out with 2 children by myself, I mean how do you go to the grocery store with one adult, 2 kids and have anywhere to put the food?! I started out by going to Target and after we pretty much mastered that I thought that we probably needed some food so I went to the grocery store. Our grocery store has the carts where the kids can sit in the bottom of the very front so they feel like they are driving the cart so I put Hayden in that and Brinley in her carseat on the top. The only problem with that is that I feel like I'm driving a bus. Not to mention that I can't see over the top very well. Anyway we made it through the grocery store and I thought we did pretty well. The only problem with those carts is that the kids that are driving are really low to the ground making it easy to get out and easy to reach everything low. While I was loading the grocerys onto the conveyor belt Hayden kept grabbing candy and I kept telling him that we were not getting any so he needed to put it back, which he did. Then I pushed him past all the candy and waited to pay. A nice lady that worked there walked passed the front of the cart and said,
"Did you know he has candy in his mouth?"
"NO"
"I just didn't want him to choke"
"I don't really want to steal it either"
I went to the front of the cart and Hayden had a fruity mentos package in his hand. Both ends had been opened and were soggy and he was spitting out what he had in his mouth just as I got to him. I told him {for the millionth time} that until we buy things they are not ours and we can't eat them. Then I bought the candy.
Even though there are crazy times we love our two little munchkins and feel so blessed to have them in our family.

4 comments:

Mike, Kalie, Jason, Lexie and Colden said...

Well I can't say the broken sleep will end anytime soon... but eventually you'll be able to phase out all of the extra TV watching... it does get easier... Their schedules will start to be insync, and the baby will spend more time playing too...as far as shopping goes... when we moved I was pushing THREE carts around Target, and I always push 2 at Wegmans... you get a lot of looks, but it works. We need to have a playdate so I can see her again! I miss havimg a newborn around!

Natalie said...

The mentos story is really funny. You always hear about those stories happening and now you're the one telling it. Love it!

Sheen said...

oh kandis.

i loved this post. and you'll love yourself for writing it down. i've easily forgotten about what it's like to have a newborn. and i can't even imagine what it'll be like to have 2!

you're such a good mommy and i SO wished we lived closer. i miss you. i want to hold those cute kids of yours.

i hope all is well with the 4 of you!

love you lots!

Candi & Ezra said...

I so hear you on this post!! I gave up on grocery shopping and make Ezra go with me. The car shopping cart is ok, but I can't see either and I almost took out a little old lady last week. and I don't know what it is about the Fruity Mentos...this is the same Candy that Avery always tries to steal. What the heck!